ADSM-L

Re: LTO Performance

2001-04-20 15:59:53
Subject: Re: LTO Performance
From: "Weeks, Debbie" <debbie AT ADMIN.USF DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:00:39 -0400
We didn't migrate from our old 3466 to the new one.  We installed the new
3466 as an additional system and we will get rid of the old one when all of
the data we have stored on it has expired.  It is not worth very much, so we
really don't mind having it sit around for a while.  So, it really wasn't
very brave, it was just the easiest out of a bad situation.

We were very upset with IBM for this seemingly planned obsolescence of a
system that we had only had for three years.  We had no option but to
completely replace the A model since the RISC box with that system did not
have the required minimum space for the new version of TSM.  The version of
ADSM that we had running was going off support, didn't support W2K server
backups, and we were outgrowing the two 3575 tape libraries that we had
attached.  They (IBM) would not allow us to attach the tape libraries to
another larger RISC box since the box and the two tape libraries were under
one serial number.  It was a pretty bad deal all the way around, but we
didn't want to change backup platforms.  We did verify about 100 times that
this new system is fully expandable/upgradeable before we would buy it.