ADSM-L

Using client option sets with multiple active policy sets.

2001-03-20 12:52:49
Subject: Using client option sets with multiple active policy sets.
From: "Short, Anne" <anne.short AT LMCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 12:53:21 -0500
Hoping someone can either give me some advice or tell me about similar
experiences....

We have NT clients in 4 different active Policy Sets, and each Policy Set
has a uniquely named Default Management Class.  I now want to create a
Client Option Set to be used for ALL clients.  The client option set is to
contain include/exclude statements (to associate certain files with a new
Management Class I will be creating and which I now realize I will have to
create in every Policy Set), as well as a DIRMC option (to force the
directories to continue to be associated with the default MC as opposed to
the new one).  Since Client Options Sets are not associated with any
particular Policy Domain/Set, am I going to be forced to create 4 different
Client Option Sets to accommodate the different default MC names in each
Set??

I need the DIRMC statement, as the new MC class I will be creating will have
a longer retention period than the default MC.  But I do not want the
directories to rebind with the new MC as that would eat up way too many
resources (tapes, disk, db, etc).  The new MC I want to create is to be able
to keep 365 copies of just 3 files that change every day on every client
(over 100).  I don't need to keep ALL the directories for 365 days when I
only want to keep 3 files located on the C: drive for that long.

The other option that has been proposed is to use the archive function on
these 3 files as opposed to a backup.  I'm beginning to think that would
make more sense due to the number of active Policy Sets we have.  Anyone
have any advice/experience?

Anne Short
Lockheed Martin Enterprise Information Systems
Gaithersburg, Maryland
301-240-6184
CODA/I Storage Management