ADSM-L

Re: Very Strange Problem related to IBM 3494 library

2001-02-14 14:55:50
Subject: Re: Very Strange Problem related to IBM 3494 library
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:55:58 -0500
>     3.) I get following message on the library manager console:
>
>     A cartridge could not be released from Gripper 1 , Accessor A

Grippage problems can indicate an alignment problem in the 3494 frame.
The 3494's robot has no "eyes" to see where it's going, but rather
remembers where all positions are within the unit by virtue of its
most recent Teach operation.  If the reality of alignments change,
it spells trouble.  We recently had problems with dropped tapes and
tapes sticking out of cells after rough CE treatment of the frames
during a recent 3590 drives upgrade.  Our experienced CE came in,
adjusted the frames, did a re-Teach, and all has been well.

  Richard Sims, BU