ADSM-L

NT client 4.1 install problem

2001-01-24 08:48:06
Subject: NT client 4.1 install problem
From: Palmadesso Jack <Jack.Palmadesso AT SWPC.SIEMENS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 08:44:47 -0500
Hello all,
I've been slowly migrating all nt servers off of the adsm client to the new
tsm 4.1 client.   Yesterday I ran into a freshly installed nt box w/sp6a.
When the site admin tried to run the install he ran into this error.

error 1603 General Windows Installer engine error. Increase DiskSpace
requirement in Setup.ini and try again.

I looked up Andy Raibeck's old post from back in December and checked out
the reg keys he referenced.  On both machines the settings were correct.
That is , NTFSDisable8dot3NameCreation   was NOT enabled.  (set to 0)

There is over 3 gigs of space available on this drive.  The site admin went
ahead and increased the parameter in setup.ini from 8000 to 16000 and ran
into the same problem.  I went ahead and had him install the 3.7 client to
work around but I do want to get him on 4.1.

I also ran a test on my own.  I went into the registry and enabled
"NTFSDisable8dot3NameCreation" that is set it to 1.
The TSM 4.1 client installed successfully with no problems.  But this was on
a not so fresh install of NTserver sp5.  I am going to do another fresh
install and try again.