ADSM-L

Re: NT client 4.1 install problem

2001-01-24 09:07:25
Subject: Re: NT client 4.1 install problem
From: Jacques Butcher <jacques AT MAXTEC.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:07:04 +0200
You need to run the file called "instmsiw.exe" that's within the directory
of the TSM install files.  It's going to update some files on the system
and ask to reboot the system.  Answer "Yes" to reboot the system.  After it
rebooted run this file again.  It will once again update some files.  After
you ran this file a second time you can then run setup.exe again.

Important: If you ever come across a message where you can choose "ignore"
as an option do so otherwise it's just going to kick you out.

This works, I promise.  I had exactly the same problem but after thinking a
while I realized that there had to be a problem with Window's installer.  I
then started playing and came across this solution.

Good luck.

Jacques Butcher.

                    Palmadesso Jack
                    <Jack.Palmadesso AT SWPC DOT SI        To:     ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    EMENS.COM>                      cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM: Dist            Subject:     NT client 4.1
install problem
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

                    2001/01/24 03:44 PM
                    Please respond to "ADSM:
                    Dist Stor Manager"

Hello all,
I've been slowly migrating all nt servers off of the adsm client to the new
tsm 4.1 client.   Yesterday I ran into a freshly installed nt box w/sp6a.
When the site admin tried to run the install he ran into this error.

error 1603 General Windows Installer engine error. Increase DiskSpace
requirement in Setup.ini and try again.

I looked up Andy Raibeck's old post from back in December and checked out
the reg keys he referenced.  On both machines the settings were correct.
That is , NTFSDisable8dot3NameCreation   was NOT enabled.  (set to 0)

There is over 3 gigs of space available on this drive.  The site admin went
ahead and increased the parameter in setup.ini from 8000 to 16000 and ran
into the same problem.  I went ahead and had him install the 3.7 client to
work around but I do want to get him on 4.1.

I also ran a test on my own.  I went into the registry and enabled
"NTFSDisable8dot3NameCreation" that is set it to 1.
The TSM 4.1 client installed successfully with no problems.  But this was
on
a not so fresh install of NTserver sp5.  I am going to do another fresh
install and try again.