ADSM-L

Re: DR test-testing

2000-11-15 10:32:41
Subject: Re: DR test-testing
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:32:00 -0500
> Here is a "Disaster-Recovery" testing question:  we are attempting to
> practice restoring the server then restoring a client from the restored ADSM
> server.  My current quandry lies in server-clinet names; the LAN techs say
> we cannot define a test client with the same name as the test box lives in
> the same segment as teh current production image.  Does anybody know how to
> restore a filespace from another client to a client with a different node
> name?  We are running ADSM 3.7.2  at the OS/390 server, &  WinNT client
> level 4.0.

You need to be very careful about cross-system restores for Windows NT
systems. The discussion below will assume that the two systems involved are
named prodsys and testsys. The prodsys backups stored on the ADSM or TSM
server will use UNC names, such as '\\prodsys\c$\autoexec.bat'. You can
arrange for testsys to restore these files by any of several means discussed
by other respondants. If you use the GUI client and accept the default of
'Restore to original location', or use the command line client and do not
specify a destination explicitly, the client software running on testsys will
attempt to restore the files to their original locations on prodsys, not to
the corresponding locations on testsys. That is, the client software on
testsys will fetch backup files over a network connection from the ADSM or TSM
server, and then attempt to write them over another network connection to the
disks attached to prodsys. Cross-system restores for Windows NT systems must
be set up as restores to other than the original location.

Windows NT provides different kinds of administrative user definitions. Some
have authority only over a single system, and some have authority over an
entire NT domain. I strongly recommend using one of the former when running
cross-system restores. Doing so will protect the production server in case you
inadvertently start a restore that attempts to restore files to their original
locations.