ADSM-L

Tape Mounts and Disk Pools

2000-09-19 23:02:54
Subject: Tape Mounts and Disk Pools
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 20:02:23 -0700
Last night I'm watching backups because we're doing a test on a computer
running SAP, that will be backing up 150GB+ data. At the same time I have
about 25 other nodes starting when I notice tape mounts. I see that mounts
of Archive tapes are going and I'm wondering why.

Question: Can I tell if a mount request happens what node is requesting it?

I've checked my disk storage pools and none point directly to the archive
tape pool except the archive disk pool. I have no archives going at this
time so I'm still wondering why I've got 2 mounts for archive tapes in use.
I'm wondering if the SAP test is somehow doing this. unfortunately the guy
running it is doing it from his end so I can't see what's happening. I don't
know why I couldn't run this from the scheduler. I'm not familiar with the
SAP agent so someone might be able to help me out. Or better yet if you have
a script you use that kicks off from the node side maybe you can send it to
me so I can show it to our SAP folks. Maybe they are doing something odd.

These are the 2 sessions running;
31,663 Tcp/Ip MediaW 2.8 M    7.2 K  13.7 G Node  OSF/1    CPAB

31,664 Tcp/Ip RecvW    0 S    7.1 K  13.2 G Node  OSF/1    CPAB

Not sure why it specifies OSF/1 when it's a DECUNIX box???

One does have a media wait and I don't know why since I have a file size
limit of 3g on the disk pools. I was told by the SAP folks the files they
would be sending were all 2gb or less. The SAP disk pools are not filling. I
wonder if I have to have a specific name for them instead of what I decided
to use???