ADSM-L

Re: oracle tdp/rman/rman repository issues

2000-09-16 08:26:40
Subject: Re: oracle tdp/rman/rman repository issues
From: "Barth, Terry V. (MBS)" <Terry.Barth AT MORTGAGEFAMILY DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 08:33:18 -0400
Hi Cynthia -

To my knowledge of working with RMAN and TSM, your DBA is incorrect. The
repository should not reside on the TSM server. It would utilize resources
that would slow down the TSM server as well as the Oracle backup.

We run TDP for Oracle on 8 Unix servers and the Oracle repository resides on
the server that it came from <in other words, the client>. We have separate
filesystems that house it and then Rman does its thing. The only thing that
we have on the TSM server side is the data itself that was backed up and the
information in the database that TSM needs to locate for a restore from
RMAN. All backup and expirations are done through RMAN and in my knowledge
of RMAN, there is no need to store the repository on the TSM server.

Honestly, if our DBA's asked us to do this, our response would be no.

The TSM server should be used specifically for housing TSM pertinent data
and not Oracle repositories clogging it up. After all, what is the point in
having a separate server for Oracle?
In addition, I would think that it would mean more network traffic as Rman
needs to talk with this data every time it connects to the server to tell
what it needs to backup and what it needs to expire.