ADSM-L

Re: Solaris client install query

2000-09-06 09:38:17
Subject: Re: Solaris client install query
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 09:37:25 -0400
>This is working now. I had to add execute permission to the underlying
>TIVsmC* directories. They had unpacked with only read permission.

Indeed, some of those directories are in the tar file like:

  dr--r--r--   0 3        0 Aug 21 07:30:54 2000 TIVsmChsm/

Additionally, Tivoli's unpacking instructions are incorrect...

Tivoli:

Please correct the README.FTP files for all tar-based distributions.
Those files currently tell the customer:

  3) Unpack the the file IP22087.tar with the command:

     tar -xf IP22087.tar

This results in the files receiving the invoker's Umask setting
rather than the permissions settings of the original files.
Your instructions should say to use the -p option of the tar
command, to restore fields to their original modes, ignoring
the present umask.  The tar command should thus look like:

     tar -xpf IP22087.tar

 thanks, Richard Sims, BU