ADSM-L

Re: Mksysb

2000-07-28 08:39:42
Subject: Re: Mksysb
From: Gottfried Scheckenbach <gottfried.scheckenbach AT XTELLIGENT DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 14:39:42 +0200
From my point of view without purchasing a third party product you could
in case of a AIX *SM client system
a) perform a mksysb to filesystem
b) backup the image with *SM backup/archive client
c) setup a NIM master, preferably on your *SM server
d) restore image from *SM to local filespace
e) configure NIM objects
d) reinstall from NIM master if client is destroyed
All needed steps can be easyly automated.

In case of your *SM server the mksysb image shoudn't be stored inside
the same *SM server, because you don't have any possibility to get the
image back when your system is smashed. The only way with a single *SM
server is to do mksysb backups to one of the local attached tapes. But
you could store your server image into _another_ *SM server. The only
thing you have to have in addition is a secondary NIM master (preferably
the second *SM server), which you can use to restore your first *SM
server.

If you have questions in concern of implementing a NIM server, please
contact me directly.

Regards,
Gottfried
Xtelligent IT Consulting, http://www.xtelligent.de