ADSM-L

Re: adsm3.1 to tsm 3.7 gotcha

2000-03-16 08:54:25
Subject: Re: adsm3.1 to tsm 3.7 gotcha
From: Gary Ison <Gary.Ison AT MAIL.STATE.KY DOT US>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 08:54:25 -0500
The Tivoli version of ADSM has all (well, most) of the components of the
ADSM product.  The problem is that because Tivoli has "made enhancements to
the product" (read that as put their label on it), and "it incorporates the
next release level functions" (read that as IBM was releasing this as
Version 4), Tivoli thinks it has the right to re-license the product and all
its components.  They will charge the customer for each and every component
the customer is willing to pay for.  Their take is that IBM was going to
place an upgrade charge on the new release anyway.

The quotes are my paraphrasing of reasons given to me and this only
expresses my version of (translation of) conversations I have had with
Tivolis' software folks.  My management had to re-negotiate our fees for
client, server, and agents to run 225 client, two servers, and 2 Oracle
agents - it wasn't cheap.

        Gary L. Ison
        Governor's Office for Technology
        101 Cold Harbor Drive
        Frankfort, Ky.   40601
        Phone:  (502) 564-8724
            Fax:  (502) 564-6856
E-mail: Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky DOT us <mailto:Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky
DOT us>