ADSM-L

AW: RAID vs. Separate Volumes

2000-03-09 04:01:53
Subject: AW: RAID vs. Separate Volumes
From: sal Salak Juraj <sal AT KEBA.CO DOT AT>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 10:01:53 +0100
Hi,

I am afraid you only can get
the generic IT answer: "it depends".

E.g., for me a large raid 1 set build up from 10 disks
with multiple db /log / stgpool volumes on it,
single PCI bus in the host and single scsi controller
proved to work very well, much better
then *sm mirroring on single disks.
But the speciality is raid controller with its own
disk access multithreaded optimizer with Intel
I960RP/66MHz and 128MB 50ns cache RAM,
disks are Seagate´s 80MB/s Cheetahs
with low latency and short access times.

During migrations etc. there are
usually 2 to 25 IO´s in the controller queue,
so the optimizer does have enough stuff to optimze.

When using different disk subsystem,
multiple scsi controllers,
another bus architectures ,
slower hosts cpu,
or even when saving another kind
of data like databases
then would my configuration be disadvantegous,
I am quite sure.

For me, I will try raid (raid 1 plus stripping)
for stg pool volumens next time.

You already now much about how *sm
uses the disk volumes,
check it against your environment,
create a setup you believe in
and let us later now how good you succeeded!

Have a good try!
Juraj Salak