ADSM-L

Re: Archive Question

2000-02-24 14:08:15
Subject: Re: Archive Question
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 14:08:15 -0500
>I have a request from a user to archive files in a directory that are older
>than
>7days and then delete them. The delete option is easy enough but I did not find
>any "fromtime" archive option to specify particular dates.  I figured I would
>create a script that basically did a find command with the mtime option and
>then
>feed that into the dsmc archive command line. The problem I have here is that
>the amount of files is in the range of 20,000 and I do not believe adsm can
>handle that amount of input parameters.

Bill - A very legitimate requirement...something we've long needed the client
       to support, but still doesn't.  The tragedy is that it's quite simple
to implement, to have the client take the list via stdin redirection
(like 'dsmc archive < the_list'); or even give us a command line option like
"-speclist <FileName>".  A client developer could make a lot of points with
the client base if this got casually introduced (nudge-nudge).

Consider going the ADSM-R route.

(Note that the input list limit is actually a shell limit; but in any case,
thousands is just too many to be realistic as command line arguments.)

   Richard Sims, BU