ADSM-L

Re: Designing a solution for fast manual restore

2000-02-01 08:31:41
Subject: Re: Designing a solution for fast manual restore
From: "Agnew, Doug" <dagnew AT CHARLOTTEPIPE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 08:31:41 -0500
Eric,

I can't claim to have similar requirements, but it would appear to me that
the reason for the full weeklies is to reduce the number of offsite tapes
required.  If that is correct, why not consider a 'weekly reclamation
project' to consolidate the daily offsite tapes.  I have a situation where I
put a little data (Informix database logs) on tapes weekly and then lower
and raise the reclamation percentage, and the daily tapes are consolidated
into a single weekly tape.  Sometimes I have to step in and manually move
more data to the consolidated tape, but that is because the 3590 doesn't
record a decent size estimate (always starts at 10G, until I put more on it,
so I end up with 2 or more tapes with 10G each -- showing 100% full -- which
I then combine onto a single tape).  I don't know how or if collocation
complicates this process, since I don't use it.

Doug Agnew
DBA
Charlotte Pipe & Foundry
dagnew AT charlottepipe DOT com