ADSM-L

Re: 3590E Tape Problems

2000-01-13 09:18:03
Subject: Re: 3590E Tape Problems
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 14:18:03 +0000
The only explanation I can offer is that when you upgraded to 3590E
you may have overlooked doing DELETE DRIVE from adsm before and DEFINE
DRIVE after the swap?

The effect of this is that adsm will use the drives ok but will think
they are still 3590Bs and so the DB will record that knowledge.  If
the tape(s) are accessible by making them READONLY then I think this
may be what has happened.  It happened top me on one or two of my
drives - it is easy to overlook, especially when all appears to be
working.

I would delete and redefine your drives and then next time the tapes
are EMPTY and come for reuse, adsm will automatically write them as
3590Es.  We haven't had to manually relabel any tapes.

Hope this helps, Sheelagh
Sheelagh Treweek                   Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                   Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services           Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK           Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275