ADSM-L

Re: Using ADSM to back-up large volumes

2000-01-12 12:38:17
Subject: Re: Using ADSM to back-up large volumes
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:38:17 -0600
Those are good comments Wanda.

We have a mix of OS/390, AIX and NT here for ADSM Servers. I'm afraid that
our OS/390 servers are by far the worst performing of all the ADSM Servers.
I'm not going to even pretend to know a lot about OS/390 but I can attest to
Wanda's comments about CPU util and the Network.

The problem with upgrading the CPU on OS/390 is that it in a lot of cases it
also pushes up the costs of all the other software that might be running
within the same LPAR (depending upon your software agreement and setup).
Most software costs in the mainframe world are dependant upon how many MIPS
you're consuming, therefore as soon as you add more MIPS to let ADSM perform
better you end up paying more for all the other software. A real catch22.

Another thing that you can do on OS/390 is allow a started task to use more
memory. You could talk to some of your mainframe guys to see if the ADSM
task has been capped at a certain memory limit and increase it if necessary.

Tuning TCP/IP on OS/390 appears to be somewhat of a black art. TCP/IP is
improving all the time on OS/390 but I doubt it will ever reach the
performance of TCP/IP running on it's native platform - Unix.

I do recall seeing better performance when we had our MVS sysprogs reserve
the TCP/IP ports (e.g. 1500) for use by ADSM. You're lucky to have an OSA
adapter - we live in the world of SIP routers which is even worse.

The implementations of TCP/IP on MVS have improved with time, but as we
upgraded TCP/IP to improve performance we often ended up chasing stability.
It's worth going through the list http://www.adsm.org as I know that a lot
of people in the past have suggested improvements that have helped their
TCP/IP performance on MVS.

The bottom line however is that if you really want to get performance and at
the same time get good performance for money then the long term solution has
either to be rehosting ADSM on either Unix or NT. You only have about 35
clients total, so an ADSM NT Server might be your best long term investment.
It's certainly better than going back to attaching DLT drives to servers.
This is just downright hideous when it comes to administration, bad in terms
of costs and you often end up using one of those other cheaper backup
products which I wince to mention.

Good luck,

Nathan