ADSM-L

adding space management to a vfs under solaris

2000-01-05 21:18:53
Subject: adding space management to a vfs under solaris
From: John Miley <jmiley AT GEOSC.PSU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 21:18:53 -0500
Earlier today I sent a message requesting general discussion of HSM under
Solaris but specifically I have two questions...

Does it work?  Solaris 2.6 and VFS 3.2.4 which are requirements for ADSM
HSM aren't officially supported together by Sun or Veritas.  Sun would
only distribute/support 3.0 and Veritas urged me to use 3.4, which wasn't
an option.  Is anybody actually doing it?

I can't seem to get space management to take:

./dsmmigfs add /shannon/d3 -hthres=80 -lthres=70
ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager
space management Interface - Version 3, Release 1, Level 0
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1990, 1995, 1997. All Rights Reserved.
Adding HSM support for /shannon/d3 ...
ANS9501W dsmmigfs: cannot set event disposition on session 0 for file
system /shannon/d3
token = 0. Reason : No such process
ANS9512E dsmmigfs: cannot set DM attributes on session 1 for
file handle = 022c0006000054ff 0000000100000100 token = 0. Reason : No
such file or directory
ANS9086E dsmmigfs: error adding FSM to file system /shannon/d3.
0.0u 30.0s 16:38 3% 0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w

There's a couple of things going on here but I think the deal breaker is
the first error, which according to the ADSM Messages Ref implies that the
file system format is invalid for HSM or the file system is mounted
improperly.   I definitely have the right file system, the HSM client
won't even install unless it finds it and I couldn't find any special
mounting requirements in the install procedure.  Does anyone know what
this really means?   Thanks.

John