ADSM-L

Re: Linux client hangs

2000-01-05 11:32:12
Subject: Re: Linux client hangs
From: Bacchi Matt VENDOR <v2bacchi AT BTV.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 11:32:12 -0500
Below you are describing a problem only associated with the 'dsmc schedule'
process.  Have you tried averting this problem by running a 'dsmc incremental'
process out of cron?  I've only used the scheduler when the OS does not have
any other means of starting it's incremental backup.  Linux has cron
capability, therefore you may be able to get around this hang condition by not
executing the buggy part of the code.

Hope this is helpfull.

-Matt
>The first time the problem was discovered when the ADSM server generated>The
>first time the problem was discovered when the ADSM server generated
>messages stating the the schedule prompter was unable to contact the client. I
>was able to ping the client's IP address. When I logged on to the client I
>found that the 'dsmc sched' process was still there; it had just stopped
>responding to requests from the central scheduler. When I killed and restarted
>the process the backup started up almost immediately. Neither client nor
>server logs showed any indication of trouble beyond the messages mentioned
>above.

Matt Bacchi                              mbacchi AT us.ibm DOT com
IBM Global Services                    v2bacchi AT btv.ibm DOT com
D54V Server Infrastructure                   (802) 769-4072
ADSM & AFS/DFS Backup                        (tie) 446-4072