ADSM-L

Re: Tape Library Recommendation

1999-12-03 14:29:24
Subject: Re: Tape Library Recommendation
From: Matthew Glanville <matthew.glanville AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 14:29:24 -0500
Orin Rehorst wrote:

> >> Just image the scenario where you need to restore a critical file with
> you CEO watching and have to explain that it is going to take an hour
> because there are 5 tape mounts involved and each has to seek across 75GB of
> tape surface.
>
> That's another reason I'm considering STAC Replica NDM
> (http://www.stac.com/cw/) for desktops and mobile PCs. No tapes!!! What do
> you think?
>
> Regards,
> Orin Rehorst

What are you talking about?  To restore a single file from TSM's Full
incremental backups you do not have to scan 5 tapes to find that one
file.

Dosesn't the software just look in it's database, find what tape the
file is on, where on the tape it is, and then seek and restore that
file?

I have rarely seen the software take more than the time it takes to
mount a tape to start restoring a file.

Sounds like we need another tutorial on how TSM/ADSM goes about the
process of restoring a file from it's full incremental backups....
--
matthew.glanville AT kodak DOT com
matthew.glanville AT kodak DOT com