ADSM-L

TSM 3.7, Solaris 2.7 and STK 9740 with ACSLS, Final Word

1999-10-27 11:40:37
Subject: TSM 3.7, Solaris 2.7 and STK 9740 with ACSLS, Final Word
From: "Kelly J. Lipp" <lipp AT STORSOL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 09:40:37 -0600
Not really good folks, but I'll share everything I now know.

1. The key is that this 2.7 Solaris implementation is a 64 bit implementation.

2. The mt driver code shipped with ADSM/TSM is a 32 bit driver.  The readme for
3.7 states clearly that this driver may or may not work on 64 bit
implementations (I knew I should have read the documentation, but I really
didn't think things were bad enough yet!).  We've tested it and it DOES NOT
WORK.  Never mind the may or may not.

3. The apparent fix is to drop back Solaris to 32 bit emulation mode.  This
works.  The driver loaded just fine and attached to the drives, TSM loves it
and we're in business.  That's the good news.

4. The bad news.  Most folks had 64 bit in mind for a reason.  In our case,
performance of Oracle apps is the goal.  We're living with the work around for
now, but who knows for how long.

5. The other bad news.  There is not a plan in place to create a 64 bit driver.
 For a while we thought there was a 64 bit driver soon to be released.  This is
not the case.  IBM engineering cites the need to have a tested 64 bit ACSLS ssi
driver before they will work to create a 64 bit driver of their own.  STK owns
the ssi driver and no one can tell us if and/or when they'll create one.  This
driver appears to work fine in 64 bit mode, by the way.

6. Perhaps this isn't really a problem in most cases as most servers are
dedicated to a single task.  In this case, we can't/won't do that so we've got
the problem.

Thanks to all of you helping out during this search for the holy grail.

Kelly Lipp
SSSI
lipp AT storsol DOT com