ADSM-L

Re: Solaris 2.7, ACSLS and DLT7000 Configuration hints

1999-10-26 11:37:29
Subject: Re: Solaris 2.7, ACSLS and DLT7000 Configuration hints
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:37:29 -0400
Hi Kelly,
My experience is with AIX, not Solaris, but:

First make sure that the drives are available to Solaris.
With AIX you do that via SMIT, I don't know how it's done with Solaris,
should be in the admin guide.

But when I'm having trouble getting drives to work on an AIX ADSM host, I've
found the best thing to do is to open the silo, and manually put a tape in a
drive.  Then try to TAR something to that tape.  If you can, then your
problem is with ADSM.  If you can't, the problem is somewhere in your
hardware, or your the device drivers.

ACSLS doesn't get involved in data flow, after all - that goes directly over
the SCSI connection from the host to the drive.  The only thing that flows
to ACSLS is robotic commands for mounting the tapes.  So sometimes for
debugging it's just easier to eliminate ACSLS from the equation.

Wanda