ADSM-L

Re: Solaris 2.7, ACSLS and DLT7000 Configuration hints

1999-10-27 01:15:42
Subject: Re: Solaris 2.7, ACSLS and DLT7000 Configuration hints
From: John Sorensen <sorensen AT STORSOL DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:15:42 -0600
Well, we've solved this problem but it's not ideal.

It turns out that the reason our many (dozens) of attempts to load the ADSM
supplied driver "mt" on Solaris failed, was because this server is running
Solaris 2.7 in 64 bit mode, and the driver supplied by ADSM is a 32-bit
driver.  The workaround, mentioned in a Solaris README and confirmed by ADSM
Level II is to boot the Solaris in "32-bit mode"; sort of an emulation mode.
Well, we did try this, and the driver does now load correctly, but we can't
stay in this mode indefinately.  We'll be working this further with IBM as
appropriate.  As expected, once the driver loaded, we saw our two drives,
/.../0mt and /.../1mt, as expected.  DEFINE DRIVE worked fine, and backup
stg, migration, and db backup all worked fine.

We are using the newest version of the server, Tivoli Storage Manager
3.7.1.0, which was apparantly just posted to the FTP site.  This is the only
version which supports Solaris 2.7 (ADSM 3.1.2.* is not listed as supporting
this version of Solaris).

John Sorensen
Kelly Lipp
SSSI