ADSM-L

Re: DETACHing a tape

1999-10-11 12:26:22
Subject: Re: DETACHing a tape
From: Lisa Baas <lbaas AT MSAC.MTSAC DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:26:22 -0700
At 4:03 PM +0200 10/11/99, Rupp Thomas (Illwerke) is rumored to have typed:

> Hi ADSM-ers (TSM-ers),
>
> I'm running ADSM/VM and use CA's DYNAM/T as tape management system.
> When ADSM needs a tape an exit machine is started. Also if ADSM wants to
> delete a tape.
> When ADSM needs a tape I do a DYNOPEN. For DYNAM/T to correctly close the
> tape I should do a DYNCLOSE as well. But ADSM only DETACHes the tape and
> I can't do a DYNCLOSE. Therefore the DTF is open forever.
>
> When or how do you close your tapes?

We had DYNAM/T years ago. As I recall, there was a parameter you could set
that would close a tape after it had been open for a given amount of time. I
think we had it set to 8 hours.

Another possibility...We're now using EPIC and I had a similar problem - EPIC
wouldn't catalog a new tape until it was closed. For a while I had operators
mounting what they (and EPIC) thought were scratch tapes for other jobs,
overwriting ADSM data. So I modified DSMMOUNT to close the dataset
immediately after the tape mount. I don't know if this will work with DYNAM
but it fixed my problem.

/lisa