ADSM-L

Re: Bus Error with LINUX Client

1999-10-05 06:11:23
Subject: Re: Bus Error with LINUX Client
From: Walter de Jong <walter AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 12:11:23 +0200
Hermann Frasch wrote:

> One of our customers has recently informed us of the following problem
> he
> encountered during an Incremental-Backup on a PC
> running Suse Linux 6.1:
>
> When he enters "dsmc incr" (ADSM-Client Version 3, Release 1, Level 0.1)
>
> the backup stops with the messages
>
> Incremental backup of volume '/'
> Bus error
>
> There aren't any error messages in the dsmerror.log.
> Has anybody else encountered a similar problem and can
> give us a hint as how to overcome it? What
> could "Bus error" mean in the context of an Incremental?
> Is it a bug in the client code and is there an update available?
>
> Thanks for any answers,
> Hermann Frasch
>
> --

If your customer is a university student, chances are that
he/she has overclocked the PC. Linux displays weird behaviour
(SIGBUS/SIGSEGVs all over the place) with badly overclocked
PCs.

--
                  *** When you build it, they will come ***
                  *** When you build it, they will come ***

Walter de Jong
walter AT sara DOT nl        http://www.sara.nl/
Systems Programmer at SARA -- National Supercomputer Services

People should be able to e-mail me, spambots should not.