ADSM-L

Re: Scheduled backups for Solaris 2.7

1999-07-19 16:09:00
Subject: Re: Scheduled backups for Solaris 2.7
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 13:09:00 -0700
Hello Robert,

This is just a shot, but we have a recent APAR describing symptoms
similar to yours. The problem seems to occur when the date and/or
time is changed on the ADSM client system (maybe you are doing Y2K
testing?) The APAR number is IC24378, and the text is as follows:

BEGIN APAR TEXT
   When running the ADSM Scheduler in the background, if the date
   and/or time is changed on the OS of the Client, the next
   scheduled event for this Client node may miss.  All subsequent
   backups, however, will run successfully.  This behavior has only
   been seen when using the Prompted schedmode and only when the
   scheduler process is running in the background.  The activity
   log does not even indicate an attempt by the Server to contact
   the Client to begin the scheduled event.  There aren't any
   errors seen on the Client.

   This behavior has been recreated on the HP and Solaris platforms

   LOCAL FIX:
   1. Use the Client Polling schedmode, or
   2. Run the ADSM Scheduler process in the foreground, or
   3. Recycle the ADSM Scheduler after changing the date/time on
      the OS.
END APAR TEXT

At this time, the APAR is still in OPEN state, so no fix is yet
available. I do not have an estimate as to when it will be fixed.

If you are unable to otherwise the correct problem, or even if you
think this APAR could be your problem, I would recommend opening up
a problem record with IBM ADSM support. If this APAR is your problem,
then you can track it through the problem record. If this is not your
problem, then service can help you determine the trouble.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

I've got two Solaris 2.7 clients that can't do scheduled backups. I can
stop and restart the scheduler and one backup will successfully run, but
subsequent scheduled backups never run. There are no errors recorded in
the error log, schedule log, or server log. Both clients are running ADSM
3.1.0.7.

These are the only clients out of 200+ that are having this problem. They
are also the only Solaris 2.7/ADSM 3.1.0.7 systems I have. Does anyone
know if this is a bug?

Thanks,
Robert

Robert Jarry                             email:  r.jarry AT cc.utexas DOT edu
Robert Jarry                             email:  r.jarry AT cc.utexas DOT edu
Unix Services                            phone:  (512) 475-9330
Academic Computing & IT Services
The University of Texas at Austin