ADSM-L

Re: Exchange Backup

1999-03-26 12:44:17
Subject: Re: Exchange Backup
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:44:17 -0500
Leandro,

This question has been discussed a number of times on this list.
To get a full explanation, please search the archives of this list.

In short, the ADSMConnect Exchange Agent does not do mailbox
level granularity for backup and restore since the
backup/restore API that Microsoft supports does not offer it.

Mailbox level backup and restore for Exchange is a candidate
for a future release of our Exchange agent but it is not
currently in plan.  That function is NOT supported by the
Exchange backup APIs and the alternative means of providing
that capability have poor performance implications.

In addition,  Exchange 5.5 includes a feature called
"item recovery" which allows for retention of deleted
messages and folders for some configurable period of time
and recovery of these deleted items through the exchange
client interface (sort of an undelete function).
This provides a quick and easy solution for recovery of
items lost due to accidental deletion  which is the most
common type of loss.

There are ways to accomplish this through APIs not
designed for backup and restore but the scalability
of the solution becomes the issue.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler