ADSM-L

Re: Changing ADSM tape drivers...

1999-03-17 09:40:15
Subject: Re: Changing ADSM tape drivers...
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 09:40:15 -0500
I'm not sure you can delete the device class if you still have tapes defined
to it.
But even if you can, I'm not sure it's a good idea.
If you have tapes written with the IBM drivers, and you change the drivers,
does SUN guarantee that you can still read the tapes? I don't think it will
necessarily work, even if they are both for DLT.

Now I don't know for a fact that you would have a problem, but it's
possible.

Another way to handle it is to split your tape drives into 2 groups, or 2
logical libraries.  Define a new device class with GENERICTAPE, and define
some of your tape drives to that devclass.  Then use your old
drivers/devclass for input, and your new drivers for output.

I would be interested in hearing the results when you try this!
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert