ADSM-L

Re: Tapes Dissapearing

1999-02-24 15:13:27
Subject: Re: Tapes Dissapearing
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:13:27 -0600
     Now I don't move tapes out of my ATL's
     That is my only tape activity is DB backups, diskpool migrations, and
     reclamations AND

     I have noticed that now and again tapes get "lost" to the adsm
     environments.  I have a unix script that pulls in an ATL inventory
     from "mtlib -l/dev/lmcp0 -qI" (cutting out the volser), pulls in a
     libvol list from all attached aix adsm servers (q libvol and cuts out
     the volser), and last but not least pulls in a list of volumes from a
     "q vol dev=3590devc" (cuts out the volsers naturally) THEN via misc
     "comm" statements shows me what is in the library but isn't a libvol
     or a valid used volume. (then to CMA does another "q vol volser" on
     all attached adsm servers just to let me see it truely isn't used)

     and now and again this generates available tapes for me to check back
     into one of the environments... I never caught any tapes that still
     had references as far back as my activity log goes and now I don't
     bother looking, I just reuse the tapes and carry on.

     I guess what I'm really trying to say is I've made it part of my
     general routine activities to, when scratch tapes get low, check for
     lost tapes and bring them back into the environments.

     "Mine is not to ask why... just do!"

     later,
          DWight