ADSM-L

Re: ADSM/Oracle Startup/Shutdown on DEC UNIX client

1999-01-22 12:19:26
Subject: Re: ADSM/Oracle Startup/Shutdown on DEC UNIX client
From: Kells Kearney <kells AT WINTERLAND.MAINLAND.AB DOT CA>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 10:19:26 -0700
"Kerssen, Larry" wrote:

> I'm attempting to use the PostSchedulecmd & PreSchedulecmd to invoke an
> Oracle start & stop for the ADSM incremental backup.  I know the ADSM
> scheduler invokes the command because I can place a write statement in the
> command script and it works.  It appears I am having a permissions problem
> with the Oracle commands.  Does anyone know how I can verify this and if so,
> fix it?   I'm assuming the ADSM scheduler is running as "root" user.  I also
> don't know how to tell on DEC UNIX what userid the ADSM scheduler is using.
> The client is on a DEC UNIX client running ADSM 3.1.05.  My ADSM server is
> running on MVS (3.1.01).  I invoke the pre & post commands from an option
> assigned to the client node, in the ADSM server.  I've also tried the pre &
> post commands in the client options file, with the same results.

   You definitely have a permissions problem.  All of the Oracle instances I've
seen
will NOT let a root user access the database (a security feature, I think :).
In order
to run the svrmgrl script to shut down Oracle, it needs to run as either your
Unix oracle
account, or another account in the Unix dba group.

  Something like

#!/bin/sh
# Oracle shutdown script
    su - oracle -c svrmgrl <<EOM
connect internal
shutdown
EOM

# End of script

   should do the trick.  You can test this on a test instance, but be careful
about the
difference between 'su' and 'su -' if you decide to set the ORACLE_SID and
ORACLE_HOME environment variables, and pass them onto your script.

  To do that, try

#!/bin/sh
# Shut down a non-default Oracle instance
ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/....  # Your setup here
ORACLE_SID=test                        # Your Oracle SID here
export ORACLE_HOME ORACLE_SID

su oracle -c svrmgrl <<EOM
connect internal
shutdown
EOM

# End of script

   If you can get your scripts to work using a root login, and then cron, the
script
wil work using ADSM.

kells

"Any coincidence of opinion, real or imagined, between myself and Mainland
Information Systems Ltd is exactly that."