ADSM-L

Re: backup database - wish list

1999-01-06 15:26:01
Subject: Re: backup database - wish list
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 15:26:01 -0500
When you start ADSM with the DSMSERV RESTORE DB command, ADSM looks in the
devconfig file to find the devclass definitions and looks in the
volumehistory file to find the last good backup tape.

This is VERY convenient way to recover if you have an on-site data base
failure.

However, if you are conducting an off-site disaster test and ADSM is already
installed and you KNOW what tape you want to use, you can issue the DSMSERV
RESTORE DB command and specify the correct volume on the command - this is
described in the ADMIN ref book under the DSMSERV RESTORE DB command - see
the example that says "Volume history not available".

You can also construct a devconfig and volume history file manually at the
disaster site, if you need to.

Just remember if you don't make devconfig and volumehistory available to
ADSM, YOU are responsible for keeping track of what you need to do the
recovery

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert

!

If you are conducting an of