ADSM-L

Re: backup database - wish list

1999-01-06 10:56:44
Subject: Re: backup database - wish list
From: Chris Roelofs <Chris.J.Roelofs AT MAIL.ING DOT NL>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 15:56:44 +0000
     Yes, that would be nice, but...

     The restore db process needs the volumehistory to determine which
     tape(s) is/are needed for the restore, and it needs the device
     configuration information to determine how to find and drive your
     hardware.

     This is typical bootstrapping, you can't restore a backup if
     information needed to read the backup is contained only within the
     backup.

     I once heard this explained like: You can never call your friend if
     only he knows his own phone number.

     Regards,

     Chris Roelofs
     Mainland Sequoia