ADSM-L

DFS Client for ADSM

1998-11-02 15:06:58
Subject: DFS Client for ADSM
From: Craig Murphy <craigm AT NZ1.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 09:06:58 +1300
Hi All,

AIX 4.2.1
DFS/DCE 2.1
We are thinking of using the ADSM DFS client for backups of our DFS data to
3570 tape unit. At present we use the butc program to write directly to the
3570. This backup takes longer than expected. We changed to a 3570 thinking
this would give us faster writes but we haven't noticed a lot of
difference. If we change the block size of the tape device the backup fails
so we have left block size set to 0. Perhaps someone knows of a setting we
should be changing within DFS.
I read that the DFS ADSM agent replaces the butc program with the buta
program. Does this speed things up??
Basically I'm looking for any recommendations that using this ADSM client
is superior to the way we are doing it at present.

Thanks
Craig