ADSM-L

MediaW on 3.1.1.1 server on an AIX4.2.1 w/3494 Library

1998-09-30 11:06:41
Subject: MediaW on 3.1.1.1 server on an AIX4.2.1 w/3494 Library
From: J Holdren <jfh5 AT CAC.PSU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:06:41 -0400
This seems like my week for headaches.

A couple things here, the cause ultimatly is my fault but things just
don't seem like they are working as they should.

A tape stg pool ran out of scratch tapes, (oops, ouch)

First thing that doesn't seem right:  Migrations run requesting same 2
tapes (2 migration processes) in filling status and receives End-of-Volume
message for each, then migrations would retry and do the same thing but at
2:20am it mounted the 2 tapes, got the end-of-vol message and dismounted
the tapes then sat for the rest of the night in a MediaW for those same 2
tape volumes, never mounting them and not in use anywhere that I could
tell.

The second thing that doesn't seem right:  This tape storage pool is
collocated but the many sessions (over 24) that are in media wait are
waiting for the same 2 tapes that the migration was waiting for.  Since
this is a collocated pool WHY do many different nodes want the same
tape?!?  I would think that the session would be requesting the tapes that
the nodes have data on or at least a new scratch tape.  I know that many
of these nodes still have space on their tapes.  BTW we have 4 3590 drives
in the library that ADSM is using, and of all the media waits, no tapes
were mounted on any of them and not in use that I could tell.

Anyone care to elaborate if you can?

J. F. Holdren           (`          Unix Systems Group, Adv. Info. Tech.
jfh5 AT psu DOT edu        PENN_)TATE      Center for Academic Computing
(814) 865-2964                      University Park, PA  16802