ADSM-L

Archiving: how to exclude some files?

1998-09-15 14:07:44
Subject: Archiving: how to exclude some files?
From: Rejean Larivee <rlarivee AT CA.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 14:07:44 -0400
Hello,
well, there is a twisted to do it....You can decide to use it or not
after you read this.  As it stands today, ADSM does not
look at the EXCLUDE statements for archive. However ADSM
will look at the INCLUDE statements during ARCHIVE to see
if a different management class is specified. If you specify a
management class which does not contain an archive
copygroup then the file will not be archived. For example,
I have defined a management class named NOARCHIVE
and I have not defined an archive copygroup in it.
Suppose I have the followwing directory structure
  d:\test
         test1.txt
         test2.txt
         test3.txt
and suppose I have the following include statetment in my
dsm.opt file :
  include d:\test\test2.txt NOARCHIVE
When I issue :
  dsmc archive d:\test\*
then files test1.txt and test3.txt are archived, but not test2.txt.
Of course, the side effect to this is that the archive command
receives the following error for file test2.txt :
"ANS1104E The management class for this file does not have
 a valid archive copy group. This file will not be archived."
and therefore the archive command completes with
following message :
 "ANS1803E Archive processing of 'D:\TEST\*' finished with failures."
If you can live with the "failure" messages... that will do the trick.
Good day !

Rejean Larivee
Rejean Larivee
ADSM Level 2 Support

Hello,

how can I exclude files from archiving? I know the EXCLUDE parameter for
backups but how is it for archiving?

I'm sure the question is easy to answer...

Regards,

René Lambelet - *3543 - *A581
Nestec SA - 55, Av. Nestlé - CH-1800 Vevey
Tel: ++41/21/924'35'43 / Fax: ++41/21/924'45'89
E-Mail: rene.lambelet AT nestle DOT com