ADSM-L

ANR2034E - We don't like it.

1998-09-14 17:22:52
Subject: ANR2034E - We don't like it.
From: "Purdon, James" <james_purdon AT MERCK DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 17:22:52 -0400
Hi,
  For a long time we had been running ADSM V2 and generating error reports
from the activity log containing all "E" type messages.

  Then we upgraded to v3 and discovered that someone at IBM had decided that
failure to match a query should be assigned an "E" type message ("ANR2034E
QUERY LIBVOLUME: No match found using this criteria" is one such example).
Worse yet, we can't disable it from the actlog (we get ANR1829E and ANR1801E
stuffed in our error report as a result). Should query failures should be
rated the same severity as hardware failures (we get E type messages when
one of our IBM 3590s visits FID land)?

  Since we have a number of scripts which do polling (repeated "query
libvolume xxxxxx" and "query volume xxxxxx") waiting for things to get done,
we get lots of the likes of ANR2034E and its companions.  Operators are
getting hernias lugging the error report back to the filing cabinet.  A
month's worth of this report has caused entire forests to be clearcut and
the New Jersey Devil, fleeing the denuded pinelands, has been seen
hitchhiking on the Atlantic City Expressway.  The extra electrons we require
to flash this error message on the console (a copy of the report is echoed
there as it is being produced) may be associated with brown outs occurring
in nearby New Jersey suburbs and will only accelerate the heat death of the
universe.

  You get the picture.

Jim