ADSM-L

SCSI Cards and 3590 Tape Drives

1998-09-11 15:32:52
Subject: SCSI Cards and 3590 Tape Drives
From: Brandon Moore <brandon.moore.hoq0 AT STATEFARM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 14:32:52 -0500
Fellow ADSMers:

I need an answer to some of these questions:

The h/w configuration of server:
RS6000 H50 2-way 332 Mhz CPU's with a PCI based System I/O Bus
512 MB of RAM
AIX 4.2.1
Six 3590 Tape Drives connected to two SCSI F/W Differential Adapters, three
drives per adapter.
436 GB of SSA DASD connected on one SSA Enhanced(Non-RAID) Adapters in two
loops of 48 physical disks(9.1 GB SSA)
ADSM 3.1.1.5 with 2500+ clients

Which is faster(assuming the above Hardware configuration) in general?

     One SCSI F/W Card with one 3590 Tape Drive

          OR:

     One SCSI F/W Card with three 3590 Tape Drives daisy chained...
What if you were running migrations or multiple restores/backups to/from
3590 Tapes, you know ADSM-type stuff:

Of these which would be faster?

     One SSA Adapter(Two SSA Loops)

          OR:

     Two SSA Adapters(Four SSA Loops)

          OR:

     Four SSA Adapters(Eight SSA Loops)

What if you had a large number of database reads/writes?
What if your daily incrementals were more than your DISKPOOL allocation and
you had to Migrations in the the middle of backup?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...Thanks in advance

Brandon W. Moore
State Farm Insurance
brandon.moore.hoq0 AT statefarm DOT com