ADSM-L

Re: Novice needs some help/advice

1998-09-10 11:12:46
Subject: Re: Novice needs some help/advice
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:12:46 -0400
Hello Gary,

You can use the QUERY CONTENT command to determine what was on
the lost volume. For example, if the volume you lost was called
G:\BACKUP003.DSM then you could issue:

QUERY CONTENT G:\BACKUP003.DSM

It might be easier to redirect the output to a file for subsequent
viewing:

QUERY CONTENT G:\BACKUP003.DSM > QCONTENT.OUT

This will tell you what files were on that volume.

Since the volume is gone but ADSM still has "pointers" to the
files that were on the volume, you need to clean up the pointers.
To do this, issue the command:

DELETE VOLUME G:\BACKUP003.DSM DISCARDDATA=YES

This will remove the pointers from the ADSM database for those
files. The next time you run incremental backup on your client,
any files that had active versions on G:\BACKUP003.DSM will be
backed up again.

From there, you can recreate the G:\BACKUP003.DSM volume as you
did before, then redefine it to the storage pool.

The data on the tapes should still be okay. The only data lost
was on the affected volume (G:\BACKUP003.DSM).

To protect your storage pools in the future, you should consider
implementing a copy storage pool. You can then use the
BACKUP STGPOOL command to back up your primary storage pools to
the copy storage pool. The copy storage pool must be a sequential
device (i.e. tape). You can back up both disk and sequential primary
pools to a copy storage pool. The BACKUP STGPOOL command performs
an incremental backup of your primary pools.

My advice to anyone new to ADSM is to take the ADSM Administrator's
Guide home with you and read it cover to cover, like a novel. It's
the best way to become acquainted with how ADSM works and what it
can do. Among other things, there is a section in the book that
talks about protecting the ADSM server from disasters such as the
one you describe.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com

I'm new to ADSM. We are still in the trial period and have not quite
figured out how to do everything and what we should be doing.

Environment:
        OS/2 Warp Server
        ADSM Server is the OS/2 V2

Well, last night I lost two (yes 2) RAID arrays.  With a lot of help
from the IBM folks I recovered one of the arrays without any data loss,
but the other is hosed.  The ADSM server and database and two of the
three backuppool volumes have survived, but another backuppool on the
second array is gone (and I mean there is no backup of it either).  The
backuppool was not empty at the time, but I have no way of knowing if
anything was in the volume that is gone.  The pool was about 40% full,
and this may, just possibly, have fit on the first two volumes.  I also
have 4mm dat tapes built as a result of migration (with the collocation
option) which contain the first full incremental run on all the
clients.  Since then, one, or in some cases, two incrementals were done
to the backuppool.

I would like to recover as much as possible, and also to know what was
lost.  Is there some way to tell ADSM that what was in the clobbered
backuppool is gone, but that the tapes are still intact?  Then I will
only have to insure that the clients all get an incremental done soon
to bring my self back to where I was.  This I need to do forthwith, and
I would appreciate any direct help or well-focused pointers to the
manuals.

Also, would someone suggest a reasonable method to use to back up the
ADSM objects on a regular basis so that this type of problem can be
avoided in the future.  A pointer to the right pubs for this item will
be gratefully received.  We try to keep the server up 24x7, but the
ADSM server itself can be shut down.  However, to use the 4mm dat for
any other purpose but ADSM I need to reconfigure and reboot.  The
backuppool aggregate size is about 1.2GB.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Gary DiPillo

Gary DiPillo
dipillo AT ibm DOT net

Experience may be the best teacher, but it gives you the test first and the
lesson after.