ADSM-L

Novice needs some help/advice

1998-09-10 02:38:52
Subject: Novice needs some help/advice
From: Gary DiPillo <dipillo AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 01:38:52 -0500
I'm new to ADSM. We are still in the trial period and have not quite
I'm new to ADSM. We are still in the trial period and have not quite
figured out how to do everything and what we should be doing.

Environment:
        OS/2 Warp Server
        ADSM Server is the OS/2 V2

Well, last night I lost two (yes 2) RAID arrays.  With a lot of help
from the IBM folks I recovered one of the arrays without any data loss,
but the other is hosed.  The ADSM server and database and two of the
three backuppool volumes have survived, but another backuppool on the
second array is gone (and I mean there is no backup of it either).  The
backuppool was not empty at the time, but I have no way of knowing if
anything was in the volume that is gone.  The pool was about 40% full,
and this may, just possibly, have fit on the first two volumes.  I also
have 4mm dat tapes built as a result of migration (with the collocation
option) which contain the first full incremental run on all the
clients.  Since then, one, or in some cases, two incrementals were done
to the backuppool.

I would like to recover as much as possible, and also to know what was
lost.  Is there some way to tell ADSM that what was in the clobbered
backuppool is gone, but that the tapes are still intact?  Then I will
only have to insure that the clients all get an incremental done soon
to bring my self back to where I was.  This I need to do forthwith, and
I would appreciate any direct help or well-focused pointers to the
manuals.

Also, would someone suggest a reasonable method to use to back up the
ADSM objects on a regular basis so that this type of problem can be
avoided in the future.  A pointer to the right pubs for this item will
be gratefully received.  We try to keep the server up 24x7, but the
ADSM server itself can be shut down.  However, to use the 4mm dat for
any other purpose but ADSM I need to reconfigure and reboot.  The
backuppool aggregate size is about 1.2GB.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Gary DiPillo

Gary DiPillo
dipillo AT ibm DOT net

Experience may be the best teacher, but it gives you the test first and the
lesson after.

For PGP Public Key send a message to dipillo AT ibm DOT net with the subject
Send Public Key