ADSM-L

Re[2]: Win 95 Scheduler

1998-09-08 14:32:56
Subject: Re[2]: Win 95 Scheduler
From: Eric LEWIS <eric.lewis AT CCMAIL.ADP.WISC DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 12:32:56 -0600
     Well, not quite so fast.  Most Windows friendly applications talk to
     Windows during the shutdown process.  For example, my Word '97 will
     gracefully close files, prompt me for save of updated and open files,
     then shut down, all from a single Windows shutdown command.

     Microsoft put the hooks there for application programmers to use if
     they want to.  I recall this particular hook in one of the earliest
     versions of the Windows SDK.  This is one of those ADSM rough edges.

     There are (V2 at least) similar rough edges on the Macintosh client,
     the close window box on the Mac client actually shuts down the
     application.  Frustrating to Mac users who think they are just putting
     the window into the background and then don't get a backup.  We
     reported this particular grievance to IBM - and a fix was possible for
     v3.  I haven't checked yet.

     Eric Lewis  U of Wis-Madison