ADSM-L

Severe error starting ADSM on NT

1998-09-03 16:20:41
Subject: Severe error starting ADSM on NT
From: "John M. Sorensen" <sorensen AT STORSOL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 14:20:41 -0600
My long-time-working ADSM server on NT 4.0 SP3 has died.
When I start up the server from a Command Prompt window
(in order to get all the error messages), I get the following:
sequence of messages:

C:\WIN32APP\IBM\ADSM\server>dsmserv
ANR0900I Processing options file C:\WIN32APP\IBM\ADSM\server\dsmserv.opt.

ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager for Windows NT
Version 2, Release 1, Level 0.13/0.13

Licensed Materials - Property of IBM

5639-A09 (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1990, 1996. All rights reserved.
U.S. Government Users Restricted Rights - Use, duplication or disclosure
restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corporation.

ANR7800I DSMSERV generated at 19:28:52 on Feb 21 1997.
ANR0990I ADSM server restart-recovery in progress.
ANR0200I Recovery log assigned capacity is 72 megabytes.
ANR0201I Database assigned capacity is 132 megabytes.
ANR0306I Recovery log volume mount in progress.
ANR0353I Recovery log analysis pass in progress.
ANR7836S Server initialization terminated.

In addition, a message box popup appears.  The title bar of the message
box says "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library".

The contents of the box reads exactly as follows:

Runtime Error!

Program C:]WIN32APP\IBM\ADSM\server\dsmserv.exe

abnormal program termination

And there is an "OK" button at the bottom of the box.

I believe, but I am not sure, that this failure to start ADSM
coincided with an upgrade to Internet Explorer 4.01 SP1.  This
installation may have dropped in a DLL or something that the
ADSM server code cannot deal with.

Any ideas on how to recover?  If I upgrade to V3, what are
the chances this will go away?  Can I even upgrade at this
point, since I cannot get V2 to run?

Thanks.