ADSM-L

Re: DOMAIN question

1998-07-27 17:56:02
Subject: Re: DOMAIN question
From: Geoff Allen <geoff AT WSU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 14:56:02 -0700
"Frank M. Ramaekers Jr." <frankr AT IBM DOT NET> writes:

> See Include/Exclude

A lot of other folks have said the same thing. Thanks to all the

We are using include/exclude. The problem is that even if you exclude
files using the include/exclude file, ADSM still traverses (and backs
up, if I recall correctly) the entire directory structure. In the case
of some of the filesystems we don't want to back up, we *really* don't
want to do that. (One example is our Usenet news spool. Millions of
files in thousands of directories, and it adds hours to the nightly
backups to "exclude /var/news/spool/.../*". Since we'll never care
about restoring *anything* in that filesystem, we have a DOMAIN that
excludes it. I was just thinking it would be nice if the DOMAIN could
exclude the things I don't want, rather than including the things I do
want. Like I said, it's not a big deal, I just fear that one day I'm
going to add a new filesystem to the news server and forget to add it
to the DOMAIN.....

Geoff

--
Geoff Allen, geoff AT wsu DOT edu, <http://www.wsu.edu/~geoff/>
Geoff Allen, geoff AT wsu DOT edu, <http://www.wsu.edu/~geoff/>

Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers. -- Pablo Picasso