ADSM-L

Re: Useful 'move data' options

1998-07-17 13:16:54
Subject: Re: Useful 'move data' options
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 13:16:54 -0400
In <1A16375E84ABD111AF2200203568362F30B0 AT calypso.cfr.usf DOT edu>, on
07/17/98
   at 11:21 AM, "Weeks, Debbie" <debbie AT ADMIN.USF DOT EDU> said:

>We only have backup activity at night at this time, all to diskpool, so I
>backup my diskpool to copypool every morning prior to migration for
>efficiency (like you say).  So,  can you take it a little further?  How
>would I track just active versions beyond that?  Eventually the offsite
>tapes would contain (as they do now) a mix of active and inactive versions,
>with no way of expiring inactive versions on copypool only.

I think the enhancement to ask for here would be to the policy constructs
and expire inventory.  The copygroup RETEXTRA parameter now sets the days to
keep an inactive version after it becomes inactive.  Enhance it to set 2
values --

retextra=(days_in_primarypool, days_in_copypool)

Then expire inventory can deleted inactive versions quicker.  When you do a
reclaim of offsite volumes there will be fewer inactive versions copied onto
the new copypool tapes.

You can ask IBM for an enhancement like this but I doubt that they would act
on it.  First, it runs counter to the general trend of decreasing storage
costs.  A few months ago IBM and partners announced a new tape technology
and detailed plans for 100G, 200G, 400G and 800G tapes.  These should  work
out to < 1 cent / meg.

Second, it could make your backup & restore policy slightly less bulletproof
which would reflect badly back on ADSM for allowing this hole to open.

Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Cambridge, Ma.