ADSM-L

Re: Private/Scratch library tapes

1998-07-14 13:50:03
Subject: Re: Private/Scratch library tapes
From: Phil Chissell <phil.chissell AT NATPOWER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 17:50:03 -0000
The scenario is as follows:-

(1)     Everyday ADSM does a backup stgpool command
(2)     The backup stgpool tape(s) are checked out using a "checkout
libvol ... checklabel=yes" command and an "update volume ...
access=offsite" command
(3)     ADSM kicks off an "audit library ... checklabel=barcode" process
(4)     The tape is ejected and taken offsite and a scratch tape is put
into the eject port
(5)     ADSM issues a "label libvol ... checkin=scratch
labelsource=barcode overwrite=yes" command to checkin the scratch tape
(which may or may not already be labelled)
(6)             ADSM kicks off an "audit library ... checklabel=barcode"
process
(7)     Once a week, the offsite tapes are reclaimed and the above
process re-iterates.

Now the problem is that (very) infrequently, a tape appears in the
output of a "query libvol" command as being a private tape when it is
not a member of any storage pools nor is used as a database backup tape.

This tape then needs to be remarked as being scratch by issuing a
"update libvol ... status=scratch" command

That's about the size of it!

Regards

Phil

Phil Chissell