ADSM-L

Re: Batch reporting.

1998-05-01 10:12:32
Subject: Re: Batch reporting.
From: Lindsay Morris <lhmorris AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 10:12:32 -0400
Try tee-ing it, i.e.:
 dsmadmc -id=sysop -pas=mypassword macro myjob.mac  | tee /tmp/myjob.out
>/dev/null
sometimes that works.  sometimes this works too:
 dsmadmc -id=sysop -pas=mypassword  -quiet -outfile=/tmp/myjob.out macro
myjob.mac  >/dev/null

I wish somebody in ADSM development would tell us how ADSM decides to format
its output -
or better, tell us how we can force the format to be like the usual f=d style,
i.e.
 Name: Vol1
 Size:  2.10G
or somesuch.   What I mean is, sometimes a shell script will call dsmadmc to do
a query something f=d, and the
output will NOT be like the sample above, instead it will be
 Name Size Status
 Vol1 2.10G Ready
and may stretch to 500 characters wide like this.    I don't know why it
decides to do this, and it makes me crazy.

(I know, we could use SQL in V3 - but we'll be supporting V2 for timid
customers for another year probably.)

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 04/30/98 10:24:27 PM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc:
Subject: Batch reporting.

Firstly thanks to all the people who responded on the shared memory
question.  I'm testing both methods now.  I'll respond when I have
some data.

Onto a different problem.  The manual (and I've tested it) says that
when you redirect the output of the dsmadmc command it gets formatted
for a width of 500 characters.

Why?

How can you tell it to format for 80 characters?

As part of our disaster recovery procedures we're running a macro
nightly to print out ADSM information. Formatting at 500 characters
makes it slightly hard to read.

Carl.