ADSM-L

Re: exclude.dir not working

1998-04-07 04:52:01
Subject: Re: exclude.dir not working
From: Reinald Gfuellner <gfullner AT LPR.E-TECHNIK.TU-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 10:52:01 +0200
> The ADSM Manuals say,
>
> exclude.dir     Specifies a directory that you want to exclude from > >
> backup services only.
>                Use this option when you have both the backup-archive > >
> client and the HSM client installed.
> Have you both the backup-archive client AND the HSM client installed?
>
> Matthew Warren.
> wmarren AT osmf.bt.co DOT uk
> BT Open Systems Storage Managment.

... unfortunately the manual
 ("Usinig the UNIX Backup-Archive Clients, Version 3")
does not give any idea what an "HSM client" is nor does it give a
pointer to related publications.

Creating documentation, which is better readable for people who are
not into the subject to a big extend (like mere client-admins)
would be a great thing!

Also some post-scriptum-readme ("v3-client crashes with coredump if
domain-argument becomes too long" ... ) would be highly appreciated.

In general I would say that "concepts behind" are sometimes hard to
understand.

F.e. I still not know, if or not I can get dms(stat) to recognice all
mounted filesystems as separate ones if the path to the rootfilesystem
involves a symlink (/NET/elgon/ -> / on host elgon).

I posted the question 2 weeks ago without response.

regards
  R. Gfuellner

--