ADSM-L

Re: How would you do this?

1998-02-25 10:59:11
Subject: Re: How would you do this?
From: Sean Garvey <sgarvey AT PHAEDO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 10:59:11 -0500
My strong recomendation is to NOT suggest the EXPORT option, as it is not
My strong recomendation is to NOT suggest the EXPORT option, as it is not
really an option.

I told my sad, sad story on this list a while back.  I too had management
users who insisted on monthly "full backups".  We tried Archiving, but
it required an entire weekend and all the resources available, thus
exposing us.  On top of that, it was entirely too client and network
availability dependant.

We then tried EXPORT "option".  It worked once, and then crashed our
R40 AIX 4.1.5 ADSM server every time it ran.  I harrassed IBM service,
we even got a brand new R40, asked the questions over and over about
How is it possible to get a monthly snapshot of the entire enterprise
using the EXPORT option, and the answer I got every time was "Why do you
want to do that?"   I still have an open ticket or pmr on it.

In summary, "Don't use export, it's a trap!"

(at least I haven't gotten it to work) :)

Hope that helps.

Sean

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o
o                                                                          0
0  Sean P. Garvey, President                    phone: (703) 527-6036      o
o  Phaedo Consulting, Inc.                      beeper:(800) 381-9779      0
0  www.phaedo.com                               email:  sgarvey AT phaedo DOT
com o
o                                                                          0