ADSM-L

Re: How would you do this?

1998-02-24 14:34:26
Subject: Re: How would you do this?
From: Kenton Maguire <Kent_Maguire AT ALLIANZLIFE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 14:34:26 -0500
I'd suggest a hard press on squashing the 'old' method of
full-incremental-incremental.  Using ADSM for weekly full backups and daily
incrementals defeats the purpose/design of ADSM.  I've experienced the same
resistance from our operation staff but have been able to sway opinion
basing argument on ADSM's retention of 'active' files opposed to multiple
copies of the same file on different tapes( I was also lucky enough to have
the assistance of a certified ADSM consultant).

   We looked at the original backup policies in place and designed the ADSM
environment around those policies.  This seemed to be an easier transition
for          operations.  Specifically, ADSM will be maintaining 35
versions of files (based on original retention of tapes) thus allowing
operations to perform a 'point in time     restore' anytime within the last
35 days.  Granted, this policy adds overhead to the ADSM database and copy
storage pools, but it was a drastic improvement over      the original
configuration that had ADSM doing weekly fulls and daily incrementals.

   ADSM is a paradigm shift but give it time and be persistent, I'm sure
you can convince the 'powers'.

   I wish you luck!

   - Kenton

cpogue AT PCISYS DOT NET on 02/24/98 10:23:20 AM

Please respond to cpogue AT pcisys DOT net