ADSM-L

Re: ADSM alternatives

1998-02-12 14:56:11
Subject: Re: ADSM alternatives
From: Jim Healy <Jhealy AT CHUBB DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:56:11 -0500
We use Adsm here in my shop and we were once strictly MVS server and
0s/2 clients. We've grown quite a bit in 4 years since I implemented
adsm and we looked at all products available at the time and chose
adsm.  We recently have installed Local tape backups using Back again/2
software in all of our branches throughout the world. We just couldn't
get adsm to do full restores( 5gb or more) fast enough. We will be
converting all of our clients to NT in the next year and we plan to
continue to use two seperate strategies(local tape and adsm) We
currently have about 40 tb of backup data and I see that at least
doubleing in the next two years. We started with just one ADSM server on
MVS and have recently split it into five because the database had grown
too large. I really think that IBM has done a great job with ADSM
compared to other vendors; although their support isn't as good as it
used to be in the mainframe world, they still seem to be on top of every
one else.