ADSM-L

Re: Restoring Part of the NT Registry

1998-01-27 15:10:37
Subject: Re: Restoring Part of the NT Registry
From: Chris Kamer <ck1 AT IWAYNET DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 15:10:37 -0500
If you are talking about reloading NT and then restoring the Software and
Users...

This may help
When a user id is created on NT it is assigned an SID (Security
Idendification Number) this ID is used for security purpopses.  This ID
travels with the userid, when a user requests to access to files or
directories the SID is checked with the access of file or Dir..  Think of
the SID as a Token (coin-op token) when you want to access a directory you
have to show your Token, and if your Token has the proper access rights to
access the directory you are then granted permisisons to access the
directory.

The registry contains information on the SID.  Even if you delete and then
re-create the same ID it will have a different SID.