ADSM-L

Re: BAre Metal Restore on NT V4

1998-01-14 17:30:17
Subject: Re: BAre Metal Restore on NT V4
From: Walter Ridderhof <ridderw AT XS4ALL DOT NL>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 23:30:17 +0100
Even though there's been a lot of response to the NT Bare metal restore
registry problem I'd like to respond with the following:

After experiencing problems backing up the ntuser.dat file, this is the
file the holds a user profile (together with ntuser.dat.log) I concluded
that not all documentation on bare metal restore was up to date. What
used to be under NT 3.x for profiles is not under V4, that is to say the
profiles have been moved form \system32\config directory (which is set
for exclusion in the options file) to the \profiles directory. Thus when
doing a full back-up logged on as a user that user's profile (registry
entry HKEY_USERS housed in the ntuser.dat and ntuser.dat.log) does not
get backed-up it's locked by NT (check this in the ADSM log files) just
as any other active registry hive is locked (and no, excluding these
files in the options file is no solution). Ultimately any desktop
persolization for that one user is lost after a B.M.  restore,  I think
IBM has to do a remake on the way the registry is backed-up under V4.
The solution to the problem is to do a scheduled unattended backup with
nobody logged on (no ntuser.dat locked), to do this you'll have to have
the dsmc sched running as an NT service using the system account (or
possibly using a local scheduler to call dsmc inc ...).
Yesterday I went thru the whole scenario without a hitch, I did a full
restore from a repair partition, copied the necessary registry files, as
outlined in B.M. restore, rebooted the system and the restored NT
partition came up just fine, personilizations and all.

Walter Ridderhof,     Mainland Sequoia,    Netherland